Straight answers to the most asked questions about DMC embroidery floss and thread.
French company DMC was founded in 1748 and originally began as a fabric manufacturer but has been largely known for it’s embroidery floss due to its strength, quality and lustre. It is a privately-held company helmed by Justin Wraight as CEO. DMC was acquired by Lion Capital, a British private equity firm, in 2019.
Please note: the majority of this article refers to the ever popular DMC embroidery floss that is six-stranded and is traditionally labeled as Mouline Special. Quick links: www.dmc.com/us
Q&A on DMC Embroidery Floss
- Q: What does DMC stand for?
- A: Dollfus Mieg & Co.
- Source: DMC About Us web page – “Daniel DOLLFUS, took over the running of the family firm. In Spring 1800, he married Anne-Marie MIEG and gave his firm a new name, DOLLFUS-MIEG & Compagnie, or DMC.”
- Q: Where is DMC located? Where is DMC floss made?
- A: Since the company was acquired in 2019 by a British company, DMC is headquartered in England with a regional office in France. Floss is still being manufactured on the original property in Mulhouse, France.
- Source: LinkedIn and DMC website
- Q: Where can I purchase DMC embroidery floss? Who sells it?
- A: Head to the DMC website for packs and assortments. For individual skeins see below:
- DMC sells its products in Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, United Kingdom, USA
- Popular online shops with international shipping: Amazon, Etsy, 123Stitch, Lakeside Needlecraft, LoveCrafts, Hobbycraft
- Additional online shops in the US: EverythingCrossStitch, Fat Quarter Shop, Herrschners, The Woolery
- Brick and mortar shops in the US: Joanns, Michaels, Walmart, Hobby Lobby, your local needlework shop!
- Q: What is DMC embroidery floss?
- A: DMC embroidery floss is made from long staple cotton which is a better quality and has a softer feel than the shorter variety. The company gives a chemical bath to the spun cotton which gives the floss strength and shine. The final product comes in six lightly-twisted, divisible strands.
- Source: DMC website and Nordic Needle under Material Guides
- Q: What is the difference between embroidery floss and thread?
- A: DMC uses the umbrella term Embroidery Thread to refer to its various thread-like products: embroidery floss, pearl cotton, satin floss, memory thread, metallic thread, craft thread, etc.
- Q: What is DMC embroidery floss used for?
- A: Embroidery floss can be used for various types of needlework: embroidery in all it’s forms, cross-stitch, needlepoint, punch needle embroidery, and arts and crafts like friendship bracelets.
- Q: Is DMC embroidery floss colorfast? Does it bleed?
- A: The company maintains that their floss it colorfast meaning the dye won’t bleed when washed. Here is their recommendation for prewashing if you choose to do so: “Mix one tablespoon of white vinegar with 8 fl.oz. of clear water. Soak entire skein in vinegar and clear water. If a thread has any excess dye in it, the water will show discolouration (the water will turn the same color as thread). After soaking, take the thread out of the water/vinegar mixture and make sure it is completely dry before using.”
- Source: DMC FAQ web page
- Q: How many DMC embroidery floss colors are there?
- A: As of 2021, there are 507 colors of Mouline Special which includes the 35 new colors and the 18 variegated colors.
- Source: DMC Color List web page
- Q: How long is DMC embroidery floss?
- A: It is 8.7 yards or 8 meters in length.
- Source: DMC Threaded Color Card
- Q: What size is DMC embroidery floss?
- A: DMC Mouline Special consists of six strands of size-25.
- Source: DMC Threaded Color Card
- DMC Color Lists numerical and color family
- Free embroidery patterns from DMC
- Free cross-stitch patterns from DMC
- DMC beginner guides
Shop DMC Thread Packs and Organization
DMC Embroidery Floss Packs and Assortments
- DMC 489 Color Embroidery Floss Set
- 250 Skeins for Florals
- Top 100 Color Floss Pack
- Pastel 50 Floss Color Pack
- DMC Embroidery Floss 36 Skein Black and White Bundle
- DMC Embroidery Floss 4 Color Primary Bundle
- Collector’s Tin with 35 New Colors
- The Firecracker Pack
- The Bright Pack
- The Must Have Pack
- The Botanicals Pack
- Valentine’s Day Bundle
- The Pastel Pack
- The Vivid Pack
Specialty DMC Embroidery Threads
- 36 Skein Light Effects Thread Pack
- Light Effects Holiday Thread Pack
- Light Effects Pearlescent Thread Pack
- Light Effects Tropical Glow Thread Pack
- 60 Skein Color Variations Pack
- Color Variations Amazon Pack
- Diamant Thread 14 Color Pack
- Diamant Grande 6 Color Bundle
- Diamant Metals Bundle
- Diamant Jewel Tone Bundle
- 24 Skein Coloris Pack
- Mouline Etoile Collector’s Tin
- Mouline Etoile 35 Color Pack
- Threadship Tie-Dye Friendship Bracelet Pack
- Threadship Primary Friendship Bracelet Pack
DMC Organization and Storage
Happy stitching! Make sure to subscribe to our Newsletter or read more on you favorite stitch type: Cross-Stitch, Hand Embroidery, Needlepoint, Plastic Canvas, Punch Needle. You can always find them at the top of Frogging News on the main menu.